Saturday, November 24, 2007

Easy Peas-y Penne Pasta

Well, I tried a recipe from Rachael Ray called "More Peas if you Please Penne". I thought it was really easy, so I made up my own name for it. Easy Peas-y Penne Pasta. I like that name better. Anyway, Avery loved it. Logan wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. He ran away from the table and hid in the corner behind the couch, only to run back to the table on occasion to grab an apple slice. I am really trying to crack down on making him try what I make for dinner, and if he won't, he can't eat anything else. So, here is the recipe. It is a good, easy meal.

More Peas if you please Penne* Rachael Ray

This makes a lot!

Salt
1 pound penne pasta with ridges
3 cups frozen peas
1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced
Freshly ground pepper

Cook pasta al dente. Set aside a ladle of pasta cooking water and then drain.

In a small saucepan, add peas and broth. Simmer 5 min.

In a large serving bowl, mash half the peas and broth with the ricotta cheese. Toss with the pasta, butter and half the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Add the reserved pasta cooking water to moisten if needed. Stir in the remaining whole peas and the basil; season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.

* I forgot to add fresh basil to the shopping list, so used dried instead. I also used the fresh shredded parmesan instead of the grated since that's what I had.

No comments: