Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Baked Oatmeal


Ok. Who likes oatmeal? I can eat it fine, but I don't usually love it. Sometimes it is hard for me to get through my entire serving without gagging. I have to sprinkle on sugar, and make sure to add milk to mask the gummy consistency. While my comments are making it sound like I really don't like oatmeal, I do. It's just not my favorite.

Enter Baked Oatmeal. This is seriously good. I just had two servings without complaint. My complaint now is that I am full. But that's good. It's one of the perks about eating oatmeal for breakfast. It is full of fiber, and fills you up good so you aren't wanting to snack. So, on to the recipe.

Baked Oatmeal

6 Cups Quick Cooking Oatmeal
1 Cup Sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups milk
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, slightly beaten

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Pour into a greased 9x13x2 baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until set. Serve with additional milk.

* I actually halved the recipe and baked it in an 8x8 casserole dish. I only baked it for 35 minutes. It was a bit crispy around the edges, but slightly soft in the middle. Sorta like an oatmeal cookie! I think next time I might leave it in a bit longer to get a little more crunch. I also may add some extras like raisins and cinnamon to make it even more like an oatmeal cookie. Who wouldn't want to eat a cookie for breakfast? Anyway, I did add a little milk to it before eating, and my first serving I sprinkled some cinnamon on top. It is really quite tasty! So, if you are looking for a new way to serve oatmeal, or just a yummy, comfort food for a cold winter morning, this is it! It is super easy to make too. Now that's my kind of recipe!

1 comment:

Lark said...

Kerry! I love baked oatmeal and have been looking for a recipe! I'm going to make it tomorrow.