Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Chicken Enchilada Soup



( I apologize for my food photography. The soup really tastes MUCH better than it looks!)

Ok. This recipe is another one of those that I got from someone else. We had a soup potluck before the RS broadcast about a month ago. Of course with so many soup choices, it is hard to stick to only one. I tasted two. This was the second, and I had no desire to try any others...I was in heaven! I actually even almost gave up a brownie to have seconds. Ok, well I did have both, but I regretted the brownie, and wished for more soup. Apparently the girl who made it got TONS of requests for the recipe, because at a following enrichment night, I happened to start to tell her that I wanted the recipe, and before I could even finish, she whipped out a typed copy. She had a pile of them and was handing them out like candy.I am making it for dinner tonight! Hopefully it will come out as good as hers!

Chicken Enchilada Soup

1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 Tbls. olive oil
1 can (14 oz.) beef broth
1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth
1 can (10 oz.) cream of chicken soup
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chiles
2 cups chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1 1/2 cups water
1 Tbls. worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
6 flour tortillas ( the girl used 10 corn tortillas)
3 cups grated cheddar cheese
sour cream for garnish

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add the rest of the ingredients except the tortillas, cheese and sour cream. Bring to a boil. COver, and simmer for 1 hour. Cut tortillas into 1/2 inch strips. Add tortillas and cheese to the soup. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

* I LOVED this soup as much as I thought I would! I am completely amazed that the tortilla strips almost dissolve in the soup! Ha! Who knew?

1 comment:

Heather S. said...

Oh, that sounds so yummy. Can I post it on my recipe blog so I'll remember to try it?