Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Favorite Pasta (aka Pasta in Tomato Cream Sauce)

Pasta in Tomato Cream Sauce

16 oz. penne pasta
2 (14.5 oz.) cans Del Monte Diced Tomatoes with Garlic and Onion
1 cup fresh basil chopped, or 2 tsp. dried basil
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded

Cook pasta according to directions; drain and keep warm. Cook tomatoes over medium-high heat in skillet until thickened, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat; add basil and cream. Heat through. DO NOT BOIL. Toss with pasta and cheese. Serve.

This is one of my most favorite recipes, hence the name favorite pasta. I make this meal when I have to take dinner to someone, or when we have guests for dinner. It is so easy, but it tastes like a restaurant meal. Most everyone that has had it has really liked it, so it is definitely a winner. I took dinner to two people tonight, and this is what I made. I also included a box of frozen garlic toast, and a bagged caesar salad.

* I have tried this using half and half, and it does NOT turn out as well. It still tastes good, but it doesn't look good. It gets kinda grainy looking and not smooth like the cream. For presentation purposes, stick to the cream. If you don't care about the looks, go ahead and try the lower fat version. And it is definitely a million times better with fresh basil. I usually use the dried because I already have it, and it saves me money at the store. I suppose if I grew my own basil, I wouldn't have to worry about the expense! I also have always used fresh shredded parmesan, and not the grated. For some reason this is really good the next day, after the suace has set up more and isn't as runny. I hope you like it!

4 comments:

Ginger said...

Kerry,
I seriously LOVE this recipe. You gave it to me a long time ago. It is my favorite. Poor Loren, he likes it, but I think he may be getting burned out from it's goodness. Oh well.

Kerry said...

Hee hee! I am glad you like it! I love how easy it is. It's good stuff!

Welcome to Our Family said...

Hi Kerry! I know we haven't talked forever but I still think of you. We make "Favorite Pasta" all the time and we love it. I heard from Marisa that you had this new site going. I think you're a great cook and I can't wait to try more of your recipes!

Welcome to Our Family said...

Sorry I should of mentioned that this is Kim & Galen M.