Monday, October 29, 2007

Halloween sugar cookies


I decided to make sugar cookies today for Halloween. I have a ghost and a pumpkin cookie cutter, and I was originally planning on rolling and cutting out cookies. I really hate rolling out dough. In the end, I decided to use a recipe for spiderweb cookies, and instead of making webs, I dyed the icing orange and then I had my son decorate the cookies like jack-o-lanterns with chocolate chips. Perfect!


Pumpkin Spice Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture. Roll dough into balls and place on un-greased cookie sheet. Flatten with hand. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes (the edges should
be just barely golden).

Make sure to mix up the frosting glaze before you bake your cookies.You will want to glaze the cookies right from the oven.

For the glaze: (I got the recipe here)
2 3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp. shortening
3 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. corn syrup
1/4 tsp. vanilla

Beat all ingredients well. Add food coloring to reach desired color.

Now, when your cookies are RIGHT out of the oven, take a few off the tray and begin frosting them with the glaze. You should do this immediately so the glaze melts a bit and smooths out over the cookie.Wait to cook your next batch until the first batch is glazed. They are quite tasty! And really easy! I am all about easy.

No comments: